Monday 9 July 2007

Bilge, buoyancy and the back end...

The Broom has a sealed floor, the void between that and the hull acting as a buoyancy tank. On my example this had a large hole hacked into it allowing water into the void.

I'm not sure why this was done, but I imagine if the boat was subject to a lot of 'incoming' the occupants might end up with wet feet. I decided to re-instate the buoyancy tank and filled the hole with epoxied marine ply, which was then faired in and finally sealed with glass tape. Various other holes in this area were also given the same treatment.

Whilst rummaging around under here it was time to inspect the transom more closely. Having restored two boats of similar age and construction, I'm very aware that transoms are always the weak area, replacement being a major job. Plenty of stabbing and probing with a screwdriver revealed the wood seemed to be quite sound - apart from a little 'softening' around the engine-well drain. There were no signs of flexing or cracking so I made a decision to 'go with it'. I did take the opportunity to strengthen the inside of the transom with 12mm marine ply, epoxied, screwed and glassed in place. The screws bit hard and deep - which was a good sign! I'll be fabricating a new stainless transom plate for the outside of the hull and an additional plate for the engine-well to provide even greater strength. Half a pot of Danboline bilge paint was discovered amongst the rusty paint tins in the shed, so after a quick clean and degrease this was duly applied.

This compartment (containing fuel, battery, bilge pump etc.) will ultimately be enclosed. I think the reason the transom was in fair condition is that this boat seems to have lived most of its life covered, on a trailer.

1 comment:

Fpereira said...

hello
i find now your blog
i am from Portugal and i have a 1990 Broom Aries .
do you kown here i can find some information about this boat?
I think is the only one in Portugal
How many boats are of these model?
My email is fernandoluispereira@gmail.com
best regards