Wednesday 26 September 2007

Paint!

With all the repairs made it was time to prepare the hull for paint. The existing finish was flatted down and dings and bad scrapes filled. In keeping with my usual practice a coat of primer was applied, followed by further filling and fairing.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I don't consider myself to be a great painter. I used a close cell foam roller to get the first gloss coat of Blakes Enamel on (decided to go with good old white in the end...). This went OK, but there was no way was it going to be a 'mirror' finish. I decided to apply the next coat the same way but 'laying it off' with a brush in the recommended manner. Hmmm, maybe a slight improvement - but I think the use of the roller for the previous coat had produced too much in the way of orange peel. To be honest, it's not a bad finish and would probably look quite acceptable when polished up.

However, I've decided as there is never going to be a better opportunity than now to see if I can improve on it, I'm going to flat down everything above the waterline with wet or dry and then I'll have another go using the 'laying off' procedure - let's hope the weather stays OK...

I'll keep you posted!

No comments: