Thursday 3 September 2009

Best laid plans...

Sometimes things just go too smoothly don't they?

Last time I just had to plonk Gina on the trailer, strap on the now respectable looking engine and head off, champagne in hand, for the christening and launch - what could possibly go wrong?


Following the 'plonking on', it soon became apparent that in order to get the nose weight on the trailer anything like correct it would need to be about 3 feet longer. Luckily, I have a friend who is not only a welder but also owed me a favour.
He duly turned up, extended the tongue and added some additional bracing to stop the whole thing flexing - bearing in mind this was originally made for a smaller, lighter boat.
With the addition of the winch post and the side bunks, the trailer now supports the boat brilliantly - a solid, made to measure fit.

All up it has a nose weight of 50kg, which - as far as I could ascertain - is just about perfect. Obviously not used to the extra payload, both tyres (which had shown no signs of deflation over the previous weeks) decided to lose 10psi a day. Until I get around to replacing them, the daily footpump excercise routine is certainly keeping the thighs muscular...



On with the Sea Horse
I quite like these sorts of jobs - installing the steering gear, routeing the control cables, hooking up the remotes, sorting the electrics etc.
After a couple of days all was as it should be.


The Ultraflex/Teleflex steering works like a charm - as do the electrics and the remotes so it was off to the garage with the fuel cans for the great start-up...


Brmmm Brmmm - or maybe not...
With a tank of nice fresh 50:1 mix on tap and new plugs at the ready, we did a compression test on the cylinders which were fine and everything was good to go. The dustbin was duly filled with water, the leg gently submerged, fuel pumped up and the choke pulled out. A finger on the starter button and it immediately leapt into life - well, the starter motor did anyway. The rest of it showed zero interest in doing anything. After some fiddling about with the mixture setting on the carb and by a judiciously placed finger on the throttle, she finally spluttered into life. I was hoping that soon she would blow away the cobwebs and settle down into a gentle purr, big smiles and down the pub to celebrate.

So did the local hostelry beckon? In a word - No -
she spluttered, hiccuped, sneezed, wheezed and finally expired in a thick cloud of rancid smoke.

Initial enquiries of fellow CMBA member and Johnnyrude guru Nick (aka Rapier on the most excellent forum) pointed us in the direction of the carb. This was removed and given a thorough once over by my chum Paul (a man who's good with engines and understands cricket - top chap). Cleaned inside and out, it was duly re-installed and yet again we commenced the great start up ceremony. Looking on the positive side, this time it did actually start and run under its own steam but only for a few seconds before spluttering to a halt.



That's where we are the moment then - still in the shed and not on the water. Staying optimistic (which is admittedly against my nature), this is known to have been a good little unit, so with the help of those more experienced in the black art of lawn mower engines, I'm sure we'll get there in the end.


It's all been a little frustrating and disappointing as the whole trailer/engine business is taking longer and causing more problems than I had originally foreseen - but isn't that always the way with boats? Just hope things are resolved before we reach the end of this glorious 'barbecue' summer...

3 comments:

tamachan said...

Hi

I have been reading your blog with great interest and have been very impressed with the blog and the fantastic job that you have done with the boat it looks great.

This weekend I picked up a Broom Scorpio that I am preparing to have restored and have moored outside my Thames side office, although I am based in a boatyard regrettably neither I or any one else here is involved professionally in the marine industry.

I am hoping that you may be able to help me with some advice, the boat that I have currently has a windscreen with all the fittings however it is cracked and I am desperately trying to obtain a replacement, do you have any advice that you give regarding getting a replacement either used or new.

If you can offer any advice I would very much appreciate it

I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks and regards

Spencer

Anonymous said...

Maybe you remember me - i was searching a broom saturn speedboot. finally I found one and restored it completly.

some pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=65747&id=1158352436&l=6b328ebfc8

and

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=69465&id=1158352436&l=4eb6700128

best wishes

klaus

klauspas (a) gmx.at

Plant Hire said...

Hey Do not get frustrated, Try to modify this one I am sure that all will be well soon.